Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Mary Takes a Walk

I'm glad I'm like that woman on Biggest Loser encouraging other people to exercise. Oh yeah, but Mary writes:

You inspired me to take a walk to the Capitol on a beautiful sunny first day of Spring. You can tell it's Spring because in addition to an Irish flag outside the Dubliner restaurant there is a shamrock flag.
Lunchtime in DC; see the Capitol in the background.
Next stop in our walk with Mary is this:
 
Mary stops walking, gathers us all around and says: I walked by the Carillon on the way to the Capitol and had to stop and look to see who the statue was - if you didn't already know, this is a memorial to Senator Robert A. Taft, son of the President. He was a well respected conservative Republican and a bipartisan committee decided on the memorial, dedicated by Eisenhower in 1959. I've always loved it so I'll continue to love it even if it's honoring someone I would not have agreed with.

And then it's on to the Capitol...



 
 

No comments: