Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Day After


Thanks to a friend of Fran's for sending this photo along which she found on a news site.
  I'm getting a bit of cabin fever. Although I've been in my garden, I haven't been out on the street since Sunday so I need to get out. Today all was well with me except my telephone was screwed up and still is. I can get incoming calls, but I can't retrieve messages and people can't leave messages. During the day, I would do *69 to see who called, but (Ok, here I'm going to sound cheap) it's 75 cents each time I do that. It's not that I don't *have* the 75 cents -- I just resist paying it.

By the end of the day, my one client was emailing me -- "that was me that just called; save your 75 cents."

So this is the 86th St Subway station. The pillars, of course, are on the platform and the yellow line is the edge of the platform. To the left of the yellow line is where the train comes and I'd guess it's about four feet high so this is a lot of water to come this far uptown.

The devastation really is hard to imagine. Today at lunch, I put a load of laundry in, made a grilled cheese sandwich and then started the dishwasher. I was mindful of how lucky I am to be able to do these simple tasks and quite grateful.

What would be so difficult for, and what is so difficult for people, is that there aren't even estimates of when they'll get power back. Buses are running again, but not the subway. My helper was supposed to come today and she would have arrived via subway so we have rescheduled for next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is just so hard to imagine. I can't imagine what the subway stations downtown must look like. My cousin in Brigantine N.J. is devastated. He finally called me on his cell phone. A neighbor with a generator charged it for him. He said he had enormous damage around his property and his car. The streets were like rivers. He lives 2 blocks from the water. I am saddened for the millions who have been affected by this tragedy....Stephanie

Mary Mc said...

How on earth are they going to get all the water out of the tunnels? I don't mean that rhetorically. Do they get giant pumps? Fill tanker trucks?

We were so lucky here.