Saturday, October 20, 2012

New FDR Monument

It's fairly rare to have a new park in NYC -- I think because there's not much open space. I got an email from my City Councilwoman (who is featured in the photo below) about the new Four Freedoms Park, located on Roosevelt Island. She says:

FDR Four Freedoms Park is expected to open to the public on October 24th. I hope you will take the time to visit. When you do, you will be treated to one of the most breathtaking vistas in the city. Being there - surrounded by water, looking out at the United Nations, reading parts of FDR's Four Freedoms speech -is a moving experience.


From the website: On January 6, 1941 President Franklin D. Roosevelt delivered a speech that shaped this nation, now known as the Four Freedoms speech. He looked forward to a world founded on four human freedoms: freedom of speech and expression, freedom of worship, freedom from want, and freedom from fear.   I can't say I was familiar with the speech, but I do remember the Norman Rockwell paintings of each Freedom such as this one -- Freedom of speech:    


Here are the others used in a war bonds poster:




No comments: