Sunday, October 7, 2012

Sunday Miscellany

Here are two photos from Mary's dragon boat races on the Schuylkill River (outside of Philadelphia) yesterday:




New topic: I am, as of right this second, living in a rodent-free zone.

New topic: I think summer may be over. It's 50 degrees today, damp and dreary.

New topic: One of my guilty pleasures in reality TV is a show called "Repo Games." I don't know what channel it's on, or what day or time -- I just come on it as I did today. The host of the show comes to repo someone's vehicle. The car owner is told if he or she can answer three out of five trivia questions, the show will pay off their car free and clear. If they can't answer the questions, the car gets repo'd. The questions are mostly pitiful, as are most of the people. You just really wonder how some of these people function in the world -- young women are the worst. However, after feeling all superior over questions such as this one from today (I'm NOT making this up): What state fair has as its iconic symbol a giant cowboy named Big Tex?  Hmmmmm... let me think about this.... but I did get my comeuppance over a later question to "Name three of the original members of NSync." I could name one -- Mark Wahlberg, but that's it. So I guess much of knowledge is cultural. 

3 comments:

Mary Mc said...

I didn't know Mark Wahlberg was in NSync but then again, I don't know much about either NSync or Mark Wahlberg....

Anonymous said...

Wasn't Justin Timberlake in NSync? Now we must know the answer!

Pat said...

Ok, I'm totally wrong. Just googled and the original members are Justin Timberlake; JC Chasez;
Chris Kirkpatrick; Joey Fatone; and Lance Bass. I could have sworn the Repo person said Mark W and that was right -- however according to Wikipedia, he was in New Kids on the Block. Glad I don't have a car or it would be repossessed. At least I got the Big Tex question correct, as well as one about the first African-American Supreme Court Justice (whom the repo contestant got right as well.) [ans: Thurgood Marshall]