Tuesday, May 26, 2015

What I'm Reading

I have culled my books a few times, given away dozens, and now I'm going through and reading the ones that remained unread, but still held my interest. This is one of them. When you read the description, it doesn't really sound like something that I'd grab, but on Amazon it said that this was Book of the Year in 2007. There must have been a reason I bought it, but that escapes me. I wonder if it's sat collecting dust since 2007. Very possible.







What Amazon says:

In the waning days of World War II, Sheilagh Fielding makes her way to a deserted island off the coast of Newfoundland. But she soon comes to suspect another presence: that of a man known only as her Provider, who has shadowed her for twenty years.Against the backdrop of Newfoundland's history and landscape, Fielding is a compelling figure. Taller than most men and striking in spite of her crippled leg, she is both eloquent and subversively funny. Her newspaper columns exposing the foibles and hypocrisies of her native city, St. John's, have made many powerful enemies for her, chief among them the man who fathered her children―twins―when she was fourteen. Only her Provider, however, knows all of Fielding's secrets.

No comments: