Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Food Glorious Food

Here are two things that have come my way -- but first I want to mention this reality show I saw over the weekend called Frankenfood -- like Frankenstein, but food. The point is to take two totally different kinds of food and make one great meal out of them. For example, on this show, one man made an egg roll stuffed with macaroni and cheese. That was the most appetizing of the offerings, at least to me. Typically I like both components, but not together.

So this came my way this morning: S'Mores French Fries.

Uh. no thank you. Like the fries, like the S'Mores, but not together.


On a more positive note, I had mentoned kohl rabi to Kelly who lives in Wisconsin. My grandmother (also in Wisconsin) used to plant kohl rabi. Haven't had it in years, but she would slice it and serve it in a very light cream sauce with dill. Oh it is so good. I'll have to be on the lookout for it this summer. So here it is growing in Kelly's mom's garden:

 
 
 
And here are some Google images of kohl rabi:
 
 
 
 
 
 


5 comments:

Amy Laboda said...

Never had it, but it sounds interesting. I think I'll have my s'mores and fries separate, too. Now, put some Rotel and melted cheese sauce on those babies....

Mary said...

I'm with Amy on the fries. I have always wondered about kholrabi but I've never had or made it. May be I'll try it.

Pat said...

I like all root vegetables -- even (and especially) weird ones like rutabega. This has the consistency of a rutabega/turnip but it's sweet.

Barbara said...

I've seen kohl rabi at the farmer's market but never bought it because I wouldn't know what to do with it. Grandmother's slices in a cream sauce sounds promising -- do you have a recipe?

Pat said...

This is from memory -- you have to peel the kohl rabi and you get this white center. Then she would cut them up so that they'd be maybe the size of a nectarine piece.

Then you make a basic white cream sauce whose recipe you can find on line. You boil the kohl rabi until it is tender (sort of like how you fork a potato)... then drain it well... add the cream sauce and cut up some fresh dill -- I love dill so I use a lot. I'd also add pepper to it. My mouth is watering.