Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

First the good: Stephanie and I were reunited at our old table at Maz Mescal tonight since Stephanie is up from Florida for a business matter. We started with our old stand-by shared appetizer: queso fundido con chorizo. That's melted cheese with chorizo wrapped in a tortilla. One complaint is sometimes they do diced chorizo and sometimes ground. We prefer the diced, but tonight we forgot to specify so we got the ground. It makes a big difference in "mouth feel."
I'm getting ahead of myself -- Maz makes its own tortilla chips and gives three dippy sauces -- a tomato salsa which was especially good with summertime tomatoes -- then a red sauce and then a hotter green sauce. Of course we ate the whole basket of chips. Washed down with a really wonderful frozen margarita which is like a firm slushy. Coulda had a couple of those!

Then I got cheese enchiladas with rice and corn and Stephanie got pork something -- both were good.

We contemplated dessert and I truly wanted one bite of something so we compromised on cappucino with whipped cream.

We were both feeling strung out with this humidity -- the temperature isn't that high, but it was half raining with humid air. It didn't seem as if any time had passed since she moved, and it was a lovely reunion for both of us. Stephanie heads back to Florida tomorrow.

The Good Part II: I had only glanced at my mail quickly on the way out to dinner, but I saw a first-class letter from American Express which was not a bill, was not a promotion and I didn't open it but did on the way back. I knew I had paid the bill, but you never know what new horror/annoyance these letters bring.

As it turned out, the letter was to inform me that I had not been properly credited with Reward Points for some vague reason ("We were unable to do it at the time you earned them...") so now I got a bunch more. I don't really keep track of them and have only used them when I buy something at Amazon and they make it easy to use by just checking "Use American Express reward points" -- Other more fastidious people would save their points and buy a new something, but I enjoy the thrill of buying something with no money.

As for the bad and the ugly: I was wearing a blouse tonight that is an absolute uniform. It's my go-to blouse if I'm going out -- have had it for four or five years -- you can throw it in the washing machine, hang it up wet and it's good to go. You can stuff it in a ball and shove it in a suitcase and it never wrinkles. Plus I like how it looks and feels. But tonight I looked down when I got home -- actually to see if I'd dripped salsa on myself -- I hadn't but I saw a little wear-hole -- just a hole the size of a pencil eraser so this blouse deserves a full funeral. It's one of those things where I definitely got my moneysworth from.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The dinner was great but seeing you again was the high point of my trip. Miss you lots!


Stephanie