Saturday, August 24, 2013

Mary's Dragonboat Races

Mary says:

It was a beautiful day for the festival.  I think we did pretty well - after the first two 500 meter races we qualified for the final.  I'm not sure how we did there.  Then because we did well enough in the first two, we were eligible for the 2000 meter race - 4 times the distance of our usual races.  I was so tired by then but I really wanted to experience the race.  It was great - very exciting, where the boats (I think there were 7 of them) left the dock 15 seconds apart, one at a time. 
 
Then there is this complicated thing about the lane you're in and when you can pass and it turns into kind of chaos with boats almost colliding.  The race is out, back, out, back so each turn becomes and challenge and so much depends on your having a good steerer - we have a great one.  I took the picture of people waiting because you spend a lot of time doing that.  One of the team members' husbands took the picture of the race. 

It got hot in the afternoon sun, but other than that it was a perfect day on the water.
 


 

No comments: