Monday, August 5, 2013

Another Scam

What's funny about this scam is that it's from the president of the National Writers Union -- and the writing and punctuation is so bad.  (Just to clarify: I know this isn't from him, and that his acccount was hacked.)

I was thinking this is not a scam I could ever fall for. When I think about the friends I'd help, every one of them is so clever and with resources that I can't imagine needing a loan like this. Even if everything was stolen, you could still call your credit card company, your bank, your airlines, the embassy, etc

I wrote an article a while back about how the State Department can help you when you're traveling overseas -- for example, they can't get you a "get out of jail free card" but they can give you a list of lawyers who can represent Americans. They also will loan you money -- LOAN you money. And if you don't pay it back, they deduct it from your tax refund. So anybody I know would be resourceful enough to figure all this out.

But here's the email:

Hello,    
    
 I’m with family on vacation in Philippines  and a lot of things has been spewing. We got mugged last night in an alley by a gang of thugs on our way back from shopping, one of them had a knife poking my neck for almost two minutes and everything we had on us including my cell phone, credit cards were all stolen,quite honestly it was beyond a dreadful experience for us but looking on the bright side we weren't seriously hurt or injured and we are still alive so that is whats important,we need a quick loan of $2000 let me know if you can help us with the money then i will let you know how to get it to me.

Thanks

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Yes...there are many versions of this one... I think I have received it four or five times with slight differences.