Saturday, August 31, 2013

Change of Scenery? Mission Accomplished!

One of the things I wanted to accomplish is simply to have a change of scenery, and that happened today.

It was lovely to sleep in (a bit) and leave in a leisurely way. Checkout was 11 am, and here's the time when I got in my car:



I don't know what these shrubs are, but they were all around the hotel -- very pretty and feathery.

I saw these trees all day as well -- pink flowers one some; white flowers on some. It doesn't seem simply ornamental as they appear to grow in the wild as well.

One of the first detours I took was to follow a sign to the historic center of Pocomoke City. I actually turned off the highway to do this, telling myself this is what I want to do and not be so destination oriented.
First, it was over a drawbridge into the town. 
Old-fashioned movie theater downtown -- I was looking at the website just now and it was built in 1927 and it's still in its original glory.
This old house caught my eye -- love the lines of it but it needs badly for someone to come and love it and return its beauty.
The old-fashioned downtown.

Then it was off to Chincoteague Island which is a National Wildlife Refuge.
Couple taking pictures of birds
The beach parking was full so I couldn't park, but I swear the best part of the day was the smell of this beach. I love that salty, marshy, low tide, fishy smell wafting in strong breezes mixed with 1000 different kinds of sun screen.
Chincoteague is known for its wild ponites... they had little vending machines of corn... and ask you do not hand feed the ponies.
So I watch as this father held his kid over the fence so she could hand feed the pony. Part of me wanted the pony to take a nice bite of fingers. I remember seeing the same thing when I went to Yellowstone -- people think it's a petting zoo.
I typically think kids these days are raised as wussies with their bike helmets and seat restraints, but this one bothered me. When I got closer, there are lap belts but I don't think they'd help. What's odd is that there was a couple in the front seat and the young mother was dressed as a Mennonite with the white cap. I can't believe this is legal.
Then it was time for the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel which is a bridge/tunnel 20 miles -- yes, 20 miles long!. You go bridge, tunnel, bridge, tunnel, bridge for 20 miles. Toll: $12.

The beginning of the bridge

Bridge for as far as the eye can see.

Which then turns from bridge to tunnel...

Always light at the end of the tunnel!

More bridge, more tunnel, more bridge... 20 miles!

 
 
Tonight I"m in Hampton, VA and head for the Outer Banks in the morning. Final destination: Rodanthe, NC

1 comment:

Mary Mc said...

The pink and white bushes are crepe myrtles - I love them. We have them all over DC.

Looks like a lovely drive.