Sunday, September 22, 2013

My Latest (ongoing) Annoyance

In my various travels, I have to be extra-vigilant at toll booths as more and more CASH is sometimes just one lane and you better be headed toward it. Just got a confirmation for my trip tomorrow from the rental car place, urging me to rent one of their EZ-Pass type devices.

After explaining "cashless tolls," toll places where you can't even pay cash and have to use an EZ Pass, this email goes on to say:

If your travels take you to a destination where these Cashless Tolls exist and you are renting one of our cars, you need to rent Pass24 from Dollar or contact the applicable toll authority for other alternatives. For an all-inclusive price, Pass24 covers the cost of the unit and the tolls you encounter.

If a toll is violated, customers will be responsible for toll costs as well as an administrative fee for every toll violation. Please ask for more information when you arrive at the counter.

List of Current Markets with Cashless Toll Highways:
Dallas, Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Key West, Miami, Tampa


I got caught in one a few years back and later got a charge for something like $25.30 -- 30 cents for the toll and a $25 fee. My complaint here is just one more thing we have to pay for, and these destinations are mainstream ones.

3 comments:

Mary Mc said...

I agree. We have a toll road here like that, and I ended up avoiding it because I was going to go a few miles and without the EZ Pass it was a $15 fee. I hate to have to buy one for just a trip or two a year.

Anonymous said...

Where are you off to? I cannot keep up with you. Stef

Barbara said...

All tolls will be cashless in the future. The Henry Hudson Bridge in upper Manhattan is already so, and I hear NYC plans to make the other crossings this way soon. (Before buying a car this summer, I had resigned myself to paying for the ez-pass in rental cars.)