Monday, September 9, 2013

Home Again

I am always concerned in the last mile that I have successfully not gotten a dent or ding in the car and then driving in Manhattan with cabs sideswiping you and anything goes that I don't want to blow it in the last few blocks.

I had a really surprisingly good homecoming. The car was actually due tomorrow, but I brought it in today at 12:30. Because I had taken the car out at 10:30, the rental car place said they'd have to charge me for being late -- so it was an extra day (those two hours) and then some sort of fee. I was ready to just accept it when the clerk said she'd take it off -- and originally the whole rental fee was supposed to be $735 but she took off various things and the final bill was $585. I would have been grateful for $20 less, but this was a big deal. I was genuinely grateful.

Then I walked out to the street to get a cab and I see my favorite -- the Crown Vic -- sitting empty across the street with no cabs coming down the street. Just then, the driver came out of a building (I think it was a check cashing place) and there you go. It was like I had ordered a Crown Vic and it was waiting for me. So that I was feeling lucky -- $130 off and a Crown Vic and friendly driver waiting for me.

I unpacked about 80% of my bag, got a load of laundry done, glanced at the stack of mail and then turned to work-work. I'm easing myself back in to my old life. An apple ugly would have helped the transition.


No comments: