Saturday, October 15, 2011

Mary (and Fran's?) Outing

I just realized that "outing" has different meanings, but in this case I meant "outing" as an adventure. Mary sent me this photo from today's festivities at Peirce Mill Creek -- and before anyone says anything, in this case, anyway, it appears that I before E except after C does not apply here so Peirce is the correct spelling, at least according to the National Park Service which describes the place this way:

Peirce Mill was built in the 1820's, and operated commercially until 1897. The United States Government acquired the mill as part of Rock Creek Park in 1892. Currently the mill is not operating. It is being preserved and ultimately will be made operable again when sufficient funding for repairs is made available. Peirce Mill is on the National Register of Historic Places.

So, I guess enough "funding" was received as today, the mill was reopened as a working mill. I wonder if Mary bought flour and will make us all bread. Here's the photo she sent:



LATER UPDATE:

Mary writes: Here's the mill wheel. Fran took more picture (better ones). You've probably been by this - it's one of my favorite buildings. I was in it years ago before it closed. There were real millers in there telling us about the process for corn and wheat. The mill is right by a small man made waterfall in Rock Creek Park, not far from the zoo. They didn't have all the equipment operating yet, and they aren't sure when they will be able to sell flour again due to liability issues. It was a perfect day - sunny, cool, lovely breeze, simmery water, and a group of singers who sang Civil War era songs. Fran, Meredith and I went - Dave drove us and came and picked us up so we didn't have to worry about parking. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole visit.







No comments: