Monday, June 10, 2013

Scattered Rainy Night Thoughts

Up until about five minutes ago, I hated Windows 8 and probably will again, but it just saved my butt. I have an article due on Wednesday and it's been a real effort to write it. My heart just isn't in it. Today I interviewed the last person and put the interview notes right on the file where I was writing the article.

Every so often on this new computer, the cursor has a fit and is unmanageable. By every so often, this is probably the third time it's happened in as many weeks. What I found is simply shutting down the computer fixes it. So you probably know what happens next.

As I was shutting down, the cursor goes wacky, clicks on "don't save" on my article/interview notes and my heart goes in my throat. Sure enough, some of today's work and the notes are gone. I had remembered reading something -- and so I turned the computer back on, clicked on this file, then there was some icon that said "all versions" so I clicked that on and it literally said "restore original file that you had said don't save" -- so I click that on and, as they say, voila! there is my document, my article, my interview notes, etc.

So here's to Windows 8. It does have some redeeming features.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Meanwhile, Michelle and Tom are on an Alaska cruise and here's their electronic picture postcard:

No comments: