Sunday, June 2, 2013

My Crazy Moment

Years ago, I read that if any of us had a video camera on us for 24 hours, there would come a moment where all of us looked just plain crazy. I had that moment this afternoon.

I was sitting on my coffee table (yes, it's sturdy) having just put return address stickers and stamps on a bunch of letters and I was sitting there holding the letters, staring into space, when out of nowhere the song John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt comes into my mind. From where? What prompted it? First I just sort of quietly sang it a few times, then I remembered that you're supposed to whisper the verse and then be loud at the chorus. We sang it in Girl Scouts and shouting out the chorus was just so damn amusing to us.

Of course, I had to try that out and I did it a few times, still sitting on the table, still holding my letters. I couldn't yell the chorus, so I did the chorus in a stage whisper and then it's as if someone pointed out the TV monitor to me and I saw how crazy I must look and stopped.

For those who don't know, here are the  lyrics -- and it's supposedly a song from the Vaudeville days:

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt,
His name is my name, too.
Whenever we go out,
The people always shout,
"There goes John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt!"
Da da da da da da da da

No comments: