Saturday, June 29, 2013

Can anyone top this for today's "whoops"?

I do most of my grocery shopping on line and it works for me because I'm not a huge fan of food shopping and also buying on line prevents me from throwing that six-pack of cupcakes into the basket as I spot them strolling by.

The supermarket, of course, picks out your meat and produce, but I've never had a problem with that. For today's delivery, I ordered four loose bagels -- meaning four bagels from the bakery department: two for tomorrow's brunch and one for a sandwich on Monday and one for a sandwich on Tuesday.

Evidently, the rules changed. I have ordered loose bagels in varying quantities many times before, so I put 4 in the little box on line. New Rule: Now they sell bagels in groups of 6. Didn't notice, so I wound up with 4 X 6 bagels or 24 bagels. Anyone want to come for brunch?

I don't have a full size refrigerator in my tiny kitchen so I don't have a full-size freezer compartment and it already has a big bag of commercial ice along with other food and so I was only able to fit 12 bagels into the freezer.

I like bagels, but not so much that I'd want to eat a dozen of them prior to their going stale around Tuesday.

I really do hate wasting food, and money. I considered waiting to hear someone in the hallway and running out and offering them bagels. But, everyone else in this building is in their late 20s, early 30s and I don't want to be the crazy old lady who tries to give out excess bagels. I just imagined them politely saying "no thank you" and slowly backing away from me.  I don't know if I would take a bagel from a stranger.

I don't like to feed the pigeons as I think they are flying rats for the most part, and I don't want to put  the bagels in my garden for fear of attracting a rat. I have not seen a rat or evidence of one in my garden for more than 10 years, but I want to keep it that way.

I can really be unforgiving of myself with stuff like this, and it's ridiculous. Worst case is that a bunch of bagels get tossed, and I'm more careful next time.

Anybody do anything worse than this today?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Use more ice in your martini's or get rid of just enough ice to put the rest in the freezer. You can also put a few in the fridge. As long as you toast them, they will be fine.

Stephanie

P.S. send me six, you can't get a decent bagel here to save your life.

fran said...

I second Stephanie's suggestion--and suggest you put them in a plastic zip-lock bag. Did your supermarket close its bakery section where the loose bakery products were sold?
I'll hop on Acela and be there for brunch;-)