Tuesday, June 18, 2013

New Bed Pillows

My big purchase this week is four new bed pillows. I like sleeping with four pillows -- my little luxury. I don't remember how long I have had these old pilllows, but they had gotten flat and little feathers were coming out. In fact, one morning there was a little pile of white feathers and I joked to myself that it looked like angel roadkill.

So I've also been thinking about money, about how the economy has impacted me, how just because I have always had "a job" doesn't mean I haven't been negatively impacted. This led to an analysis of how much I should spend on bed pillows. As you know, you can go as high as $100 each.
 


I always remember these bed pillows I had in a fancy hotel in Hong Kong. I swear it was like putting my head on a cloud. As an adult, I have thought of myself as financially successful and someone who could afford $100 bed pillows, but I don't think that any more.

I mentioned to my cleaning woman that I wanted new pillows and she said she was going to have a car (that's an urban thing -- meaning she could drive out of the city to buy and wouldn't have to carry things home on the subway) and was planning a trip to Target. She brought me a flyer and asked me to point out what pillows I wanted.

Meanwhile I had also read that the new fake down is really a good thing. I don't remember why -- I think maybe because of allergies.

Oh, another reason I wanted new pillows was reading some disgusting stat that by the time a pillow was x years old, it was half stuffing and half dust mite bodies. That might not be entirely accurate, but it was something shocking.

The bottom line is that Ana brought me four pillows yesterday -- and with Target and her coupons, the four pillows were cheap, cheap. They are the fake down. As I laid my head on my new pillows last night, I thought I'm not the Princess and the Pea -- that if these were $80 pillows I'd feel the same way -- really clean and comfortable.

No princess here; Target fake down pillows work fine for me.

I was reading the pillow labels this morning which I tore off -- these pillows can be thrown in the washer and dryer -- only glitch was one label said cold water; the other said warm water. What I've told myself financially is that I'd rather have fake down bed pillows from Target and have a cleaning woman every week and other pleasures of my own choosing.

No comments: