Thursday, June 27, 2013

New Dining Room Chairs

I bought a small table and two chairs when I moved here, about 20 years ago. It was not expensive at the time, and over the years, one chair broke and the second chair was (almost literally) on its last leg. I procrastinated over buying new ones because:

Should I go to a store or buy online?
I wanted quality but I don't want to spend a lot of money
I didn't really see anything I liked
Most chairs required assembly -- even good ones, and I am all thumbs.

As my one remaining chair became so rickety, I'd tell myself that I'm going to be seated, have the chair break, fall on the floor, breaking my wrist... and then what?

Saturday night, I went to Overstock.com and bought these two chairs. No assembly. $219 for two and free shipping:

Totday the big box arrived which I lugged inside, cut open, loads of Bubblewrap which I did NOT save, although I was tempted.

And here's how they look in situ:


I'll probably put them on opposite sides of the table, but they're her for now. I had to laugh when I sat down because they are SO sturdy, no wobbling like the old chair.


Then I had the huge box they came in, and Ana was coming and my first impulse was to let Ana do the box (take it outside) and then I thought that wasn't quite fair, but it didn't make sense for me to lug this box outside, then down the stairs to the garbage cans with the super having then to carry this box up the stairs for garbage pickup.

I put the box outside my front door (wasn't blocking anything), called the super to tell  him what I had done and to come get the box. I got the super's wife, who knows me, but they are both from Malta and not English speakers although they're pretty good. Well, she misunderstood what I was saying (two chairs, outside my door, come pick it up) and thought, somehow, that I had two chairs with bed bugs.

Oh dear God, no.

We were laughing about that because I was saying No, no, no, no... and she said, "So the box is empty?" and I said yes, and then she got it. I would take mice over bedbugs, but her response tells me that it's a sign of the times... who even talked about bed bugs before?

And now, I am going to commit here to a small project. This is the table next to the chair where I sit and read and I stack crap there -- books, magazines, mail I'm not sure what to do with, odds and ends with my reading glasses on the top of the heap. I commit to making it nice and neat by Monday (I'm sure it would take me all of five minutes but I want to give myself some time!) and I'll print the "after" photo. Here's the "before:"

 
Talk about lazy. That white remote control is to the air conditioner. That little box to the right is something Mary brought me from her trip to Nova Scotia. The wooden frog -- the top part of its body comes off and I have stuff stashed in there too, and I bought that in Puerto Rico probably 35 years ago! I see a little bottle of hand lotion, papers I don't know what to do with, etc. So next time you see this table it will be bootyfull.



No comments: