Monday, April 8, 2013

Travels with Pat

I have to say on the scale of deathcon death marches, this one was very low on the scale. When I'm waiting for a car to pick me up, I like sitting out on the steps for a while because it centers me. The car service I use always arrives 15 minutes early, which is good, but sometimes that gives me zero time to sit there. So today I went outside 30 minutes early and it was a glorious morning and I sat there comfortably without a coat and was sorry to be leaving.

The car arrived on time, nice driver, now when you pay with a credit card, it's all done via smartphone and you are emailed a receipt. It's still all pretty amazing to me.

The flight left on time, was totally full, but pleasant. I had brought magazines, but ended up sleeping most of the way. We had a woman first officer which I always like to see. No trouble getting from the gate to the rental car. I either fly to Tampa or Orlando since where I'm going is in between. This year I flew to Tampa and it really makes more sense as everything is on a smaller scale than the huge Orlando Airport.

Of course my rental car company was the farthest away, and of course I was sweating. I was the only one at the counter, and one guy handed me a paper towel. Then I saw they had hand sanitizer which I asked to use since when I went to the restroom the sink water was being doled out drop by drop and I didn't do a good job washing my hands. Then one of them went and got me this cold (out of the fountain) glass of water. They were doing it for fun (I wasn't THAT pitiful) and then told me that I'd be getting an email survey about how I was treated. Oh THAT explains it, but I said I'll give them an A+ which I will.

So then it was off to the parking garage kiosk to get my car. When I turned in the paperwork folder, the guy said, "Just wait here" and he went to get the car. Oh, that was nice. I have written a handfull of articles about tipping, but this was a new one. I've tipped car rental shuttle bus drivers, but I don't think I've ever gotten a car delivered like that.

I gave the guy $2 and when he pulled up and got out, I was standing there with my suitcase and he said "I'll pop the trunk and put this in." Wow. I'll give him an A+ too. I don't know if two dollars is enough -- I noted the guy in front of me at curbside check in at LGA didn't tip, and I typically give two dollars for one bag and the guy always seems to appreciate it. With the rental car guy, and in other tipping situations, I always think if everyone gave them two dollars, or whatever, they'd be doing well with tips.

One other note -- when I reserved this car, I usually get a "full-sized" car, and the next step up is a "premium" -- when I reserved it, the premium was cheaper than the full-size so I did that -- and yes, folks, my car in a Crown Victoria. Back seat or front seat, lots of room.

So here's where the photos kick in:

Driving to the hotel, I noticed this car -- didn't know people still write "just married" on cars -- that's what this one said along with "Game Over"

Hadn't eaten so I stopped at McD's and this was in the parking lot. One thing I do love here is the Spanish moss hanging from the trees. So evocative.

I wanted to contribute my share of flower photos so this is the entrance to the hotel.

I got a pretty good rate on this room -- $83 and it's serviceable -- microwave, refrigerator, big screen tv, desk.

these photos got out of order. This is the loveliest McD's picnic ground I've seen -- in this shady spot with huge old trees and Spanish moss.

And here's my king size bed.

Can't say much for the view -- typical parking lot scene.

3 comments:

Mary Mc said...

I have to say I don't like Spanish moss. The first time I saw it was from the train on a trip to Atlanta - it was nighttime and in the dark the trees were all shrouded in the stuff and it looked downright creepy to me.

Anonymous said...

I have been told that Spanish moss kills trees. I do agree with Mary, it does look creepy.
Stephanie

Barbara said...

To give another opinion, I've always thought Spanish moss was really beautiful; Pat used the word "evocative", which I think is right, to me it is evocative of something mysterious, seductive, or alluring ...