Sunday, April 14, 2013

Neighborhood News

With urban living, we have an area that is "ours" -- our dry cleaner, our Chinese restaurant, our newspaper stand... so I've recently heard and seen two changes in my immediate area.

At my corner, there was a restaurant called Samalita's -- sounds Mexican, but it was an odd combination of things. My favorite item there was a guacamole appetizer, prepared tableside and they called it California Guacamole because they'd add crabmeat. It was so good, and they had better-than-average chips. Whenever I'd go with people, we'd order it and it's the kind of thing that was so good that people would run their finger in the bowl, without embarrassment, to get that last bit.

It makes sense that crabmeat and avacado go together, but I've never seen this anywhere else. Anyway, the place closed and has been empty for ... I think two years, maybe more. And Monday, when I was leaving, construction has begun. When I came home on Friday, I see the storefront is closed up, meaning they're doing work inside but something's happening.

There is a 7-11 that went in next door which is odd for this neighborhood, and I am hoping it's not an extension of the 7-11 but rather a wonderful new neighborhood restaurant.

The other change is that my longtime grocery store -- The Food Emporium -- is closing on May 31. I think between this fancy popular, latest thing grocery store that went in a block away and the Second Avenue subway construction that has blocked the front of the store for months, it couldn't survive. Makes me sad in a way because when Food Emporium moved it, it was the latest, greatest grocery store.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so shocked and sadden at the demise of Food Emporium. What a shame. I feel sorry for the wonderful employees. Hopefully they will be relocated to their other stores.

Stephanie

Barbara said...

The Food Emporium on Broadway & 68th is closing too... maybe they are downsizing or maybe the whole chain closing?