Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Pat Takes a Field Trip

I have to begin with a Poor Little Me. This is the time -- MORNING! -- when I got in my car and headed for the show. Of course, I obsessed about oversleeping, but I got there on time to make sure everything went well for this media breakfast, and it did. It was still dark out.

My day of three events I was doing went well, and on the way home around 5:30, the exit before me has one of those brown attraction signs that said "Munn Historical District" so I decided to take a detour and take a look. It took me to downtown Lakeland, a small city named for its many lakes. This is what Wikipedia says about Munn Historical District which I sort of saw: The Munn Park Historic District is a U.S. historic district (designated as such on November 3, 1997) located in Lakeland, Florida. It is named in honor of the city's founder, Abraham Munn. The district is bounded by East Bay Street, North Florida Avenue, East Orange Street, and East Main Street. It contains 48 historic buildings and 1 object. It is one of the few parks in the United States of American that is specifically dedicated to soldiers who fought for the Confederate States of America.

I don't know what the "1 object" is -- could be a fountain that is in the middle of one of the lakes. But for Spanish moss lovers, this is a magnificent tree.

This is downtown and you can see the gaslight street lights and just the old-fashionedness of it.

One of the lakes with a promenade.

I think this is one of the historic buildings -- old fashioned tourist places from the 1920s and 1930s.

Another lake. If you look closely across the lake, you'll see a water skier being pulled. That's such a Florida sight to me.

Another tourist court building.

Back at the hotel. My strategy is to get a room near a back exit and that way I can park up close with no competition for parking spaces. Got the one right by the door and my room is about six rooms in.

BONUS PHOTO: This car pulled up to a red light with me and I was blasted by the music coming from it. I think these are what is called "rims" which is what deadbeat dads buy for their cars/trucks rather than paying child support or buying Pampers. Or at least that's what I hear on Judge Judy.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Such a journey! I laughed out loud at the bonus pic an commentary :)..