Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Pie Day

Looking at the lineup of pies today, I am reminded that it is the pit of winter. Having it be 12 degrees when I got up this morning was another good clue. So we will still continue to celebrate National Pie Day with these offerings:

  • PEACH PIE
  • GRAHAM CRACKER CREME MERINGUE PIE 
  • RITZ NUT TORTE with Freshly Whipped Cream
  • DUTCH APPLE PIE
  • HOT MINCE PIE with Rum Sauce
  • WALNUT PIE
  • PUMPKIN PIE with Whipped Cream

  • My first definite no (well, my only definite no) is Mince Pie, made worse by rum sauce. Never cared for either of those, much less in combination.

    If it were summer, I might do the peach, but not with canned peaches.

    I am curious about the Ritz Nut Torte, but wonder if the "ritz" is about crackers which doesn't really appeal to me. It reminds me of some horrid recipe that people make for the Ladies Aid Pot Luck Supper-- like stuff made with Lipton Onion Soup Mix or Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup. Of course, I sound like a food snob when we all know darn well that if you put something in front of me whose key ingredient was either onion soup mix or canned cream of chicken soup, I'd scarf it right up.

    Graham Cracker Creme Meringue also sounds interesting, but I'd want to know more about the creme. It must be fancy if they've changed the spelling from cream to creme.

    So I think I'll be a traditionalist and go with the Dutch Apple, yes, with ice cream and a big steaming mug of great black coffee.

    I found a picture that approximates what I want. I don't know what the drizzly sauce is, but it looks good to me. HAPPY NATIONAL PIE DAY!

    2 comments:

    Mary Mc said...

    I would want to try the nut torte but I'd want some pumpkin too! Btw i bet the drizzle on your pie is carmel sauce....mmmmmmm

    Anonymous said...

    What, no chocolate? I am wondering if the nut torte would have any chocolate.

    It is 48 degrees here this morning. , but the afternoon will be around 80. Come on down, I will bake you a pie!

    Stephanie