Sunday, April 8, 2012

Mike Wallace and me

Sad to hear that Mike Wallace passed away. I had a brief encounter with him and his wife one Thanksgiving at Grand Central Station. The lines for tickets were extremely long, so I got on line to use the automated ticket machine since there were only 4 or 5 people in front of me. Next thing I know, I hear a familiar voice behind me and I turn around and it is Mike Wallace and his wife.

He told me they'd never used the machines and asked if I minded if they watched how I did it, and I said no problem. So I got my ticket and then asked them if they wanted me to stand by while they did theirs and they did. I guided them through the process, got them their tickets, and they were very appreciative.

I remember at the time thinking how frail he looked and at the time he was probably in his late 80s so it's no wonder.

1 comment:

Mary Mc said...

That's a nice story. Mike Wallace was a fixture in my young TV life since we always watched 60 minutes. I have to say I kind of got tired of the muck raking, even when I was glad to see the bad guys get their comeuppance.

So long Mike!