Monday, April 23, 2012

Guardian Angel On Duty

I had a very weird, but nice, experience tonight. For some reason, I had a craving for baked beans and had bought a can over the weekend. Tonight I tried to open the can with a cheap can opener and couldn't get the can opener to grip the can. Very frustrating and so I decided to try something I've seen on the various competitive TV cooking shows where the chef stabs the can with a big knife and opens it that way.

Yeah, you can see how this ends... how many stitches did I get?

So I pick up a knife just as the overhead lights start to flicker. I am momentarily distracted by the lights and they continue to flicker, blink and within 5 seconds or so, I'm in the dark. However I can see the red lights of the clock on the microwave and can hear the refrigerator still going, hear the TV in the other room so I know my entire apartment isn't without electricity. I knew I hadn't blown a fuse (or whatever the modern version of that is) since the only lights I had on at that point were the overhead kitchen lights.

I have to say I took the lights going off as an urgent message from my guardian angel asking, "Are you really this stupid?" I reached over to the light switch and flipped the switch and the lights went on again. And all was normal. I turned the can upside down and tried the can opener on the bottom of the can and it worked fine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was surely a sign from above!


Stephanie