Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Today is a Better Day

Of course I can't be entirely cheerful so my day started out with a bad shower. I like a strong gushing fire hose type shower. Most hotels have a weak little dribbling faucet for a shower. They try to fool you with fancy shower heads as if you can change it to get pulsating, massaging etc. but they are all the same weak dribbling streams.

I am on time and get in the car, and again, I can't get it into gear. Back to the owners manual. I now have the ultimate advice. Oh, but first, this is a Nissan Altima, not Integra. I don't know where I got that word. If you ever rent one, have the key fob thing anywhere with you inside the car. I have to say that must be a hard habit to break as I always leave my hotel room with the car keys in my hand.

Ok, so you're in the car, with the key fob thing. You put your foot on the brake and press down as you push the start button. It's just an easy push of a button -- you can't miss it. I talked to a bunch of folks today who have had the same problem I had. I don't know why the rental car people don't put some sort of explanation in the car.

My day went well. My one client picked me up in a golf cart from a parking lot and brought me to the building I needed to be in, and then picked me up again and brought me back to my car. We had pre-arranged this until I got my parking pass, but when he asked if I wanted him to do it for me tomorrow, I fought the impulse to say no, trying to be low maintenance, but instead I said Yes! Thank you! Saw a bunch of people, had four meetings and got hired to do an event in Oshkosh that I've done before but I saw the guy and asked him straight out if he wanted me to do it again this coming year and he said of course. So that was good.

Tomorrow I have two big events I'm handling -- a press lunch and a customer reception. I try not to be overly confident because I don't want the universe to smack me down for taking things for granted, but I should be in good shape.

I have to say the weather today was picture perfect -- high 70s, low 80s, sunny, breezy and my four meetings were all in this screened in porch area and there's nothing like a screened in porch in this weather.

Thank you for all of your very kind sympathetic thoughts. Oh, I saw something I've never seen this morning. About two blocks from my hotel, on the other side of this two lane on each side road with grass in the middle there were all these cop cars and I didn't see an accident or anything, but in the middle of the road was a body with a canvas tarp over it. I guess a pedestrian got hit. Very sad. And then I heard about the JetBlue captain who lost it during a flight and went hollering down the cabin and had to be restrained by passengers. That's sad as well, but at least I wasn't on that flight.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

So glad today was a good one (once you got the car started). I have to say... I've never yet had a rent car with an FOB! I guess my day is coming! Hope tomorrow goes well!