Saturday, May 7, 2011

Macho's Mother's Day Gift


I don't think I've ever gotten a Mother's Day present before, but I got one today, from Macho, Stephanie's cat. He bought Stephanie and me this beautiful little cake from a neighborhood bakery called Little Red Hen which makes these little (and big) cakes that are works of art. I'm sorry my photography doesn't do the cake justice, but here it is -- brown and white and just so elegant. We made good, fresh coffee as the perfect complement.

Stephanie had come over to cut my hair -- and we did it outside in the garden, and there's something about that which I just love. It's such a timeless activity -- like it could be the turn of the century -- the turn of the 20th century that is and we were living on a farm somewhere, not New York City in 2011. Plus I love the feeling and sound of my hair being cut -- and that Dorothy Hammill head-swirling feel after a haircut.

So then we had our cake and coffee. This was a bunch of layers -- vanilla, yellow cake and devil's food cake and a thin layer of what only can be described as soft fudge. With white icing and the brown chocolate piping -- it really was delicious.




After eating our cake and talking for a while, Stephanie had to go to get her mani-pedi and I was alone and found myself smiling -- then had to stop a minute and wonder what's up and I realized I was happy. No pressing work, no headache-inducing deadline, nothing to dread on the horizon -- a beautiful spring day, a new haircut, a clean apartment, and wonderful leftover cake in the refrigerator -- what more could a girl want?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing that I can think of. Yes, it was a lovely couple of hours. I do adore your yard. It feels like Calgon, take me away! I hope most of you remember Calgon. It felt so peaceful! Thank you for having me there for such a great afternoon.

Stephanie

Melissa said...

Wow, thAt looks very yummy! Glad you had such a good day!