Saturday, April 10, 2010

Changing Locations - Day 5 of 10


One show is finished, and it's on to the next. The press room got packed up and I stayed and talked with some people, left the big fancy hotel around 2, rented a car and now I'm in Haines City, Florida, which is about 20 miles from where the next show is. But since I'm on my own dime for this show I wanted a hotel that was economical.

When I checked in, I said I was a little farther away than I thought I was going to be and the front desk clerk gave me a shortcut to get there. Plus he upgraded me to a King Suite. Suite is a bit of an exaggeration. It's the room you see in the photo, but then there is a walk-through kitchen area with a fridge, microwave, coffee maker, cabinets and a sink. Also a sofa and coffee table. But it's really one big elongated room.

Of course I thought I'd be able to do my own work while monitoring the press room, but all I accomplished really was to keep up with emails -- I guess that's something so I have a bunch of articles to write -- two of which are due on Wednesday so I'm going to write for a while, then go out and have a nice dinner.

Well nice is a relative term, too. One of my guilty pleasures is the Cracker Barrel restaurant chain which we don't have in New York, and my favorite thing to order there is chicken fried steak, which we also don't have in New York. I noticed there's a Cracker Barrel at this exit -- you can imagine my excitement when I saw the billboard, but I didn't see it yet -- I'll find it.

No comments: