Saturday, May 5, 2012

What I Just Finished Reading


Ok, so I have this fascination with Edwardian servants and the lives they lived. Am not sure why, but my grade school friend shares the interest and says that we were in service together in another life. Could be. This was a memoir of a woman who started as the lowest kitchen maid and worked her way up to be a cook. The amount of work these servants were able to do is just unbelievable. Then you add in the harsh chemicals, no rubber gloves -- and her hands would be frequent raw and bleeding. She has interesting insights into the whole social relationships between the employer and the servants. This was a very easy read, and I enjoyed it and her.

On other topics:

I did a bunch of unsubscribes today -- wasn't I just doing that? It's a pet peeve of mine that if you buy one thing from one company they believe you want daily emails from them. I typically opt out when given the opportunity, but some squeak through.

Same with liberal political emails. I feel a bit guilty about unsubbing, but man, some of them get just too depressing. I can't help every cause. 

My work motivation has been a 2 on a 1 to 10 scale. Don't know what's up with that -- I wish it were spring fever, but it's just more of a blah, I don't feel like it feeling. I haven't missed any deadlines or anything, but I have had to pull out every gimmick I have to make myself write. Today I set the timer for 15 minutes to see if I could write 200 words before the timer went off, and of course I could. But at least it gets me going.

I've just turned something in and now I can play a computer game or pick out my next book to read. And it's not even Sunday night yet!




1 comment:

Mary Jones said...

Sounds like an interesting read. Think I'll recommend it to my Book Club. We just finished reading "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton. It's about a four-year-old girl left standing on a dock in Australia after a ship sailed in from England. She doesn't know her name and no one knows who/where her parents are. Quite interesting; lots of twists and turns. Kept my interest, though, frankly, I didn't really like the ending, but I still enjoyed the book.

Thanks again for your good advice the other day. Working some today myself, but not as "fast" as I should.

Mary Jones