Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Britishisms

I am enjoying my Victorian England murder mystery although even at its rather short length of about 250 pages, there really isn't enoung material for a full book so he goes off on historical tangents, some of which I don't find that interesting.

What does interest me, and somewhat annoys me, is the difference between British English and American English. In one part, he says, "The sun had its hat on" and at first I thought it was a typo and it was supposed to be 'SON' but then the rest of the sentence said "and all was right with the world" so I took that as a colloquial sayiing. Had never heard of it, though.

Today I was emailing back and forth with a British colleague and mentioned this saying that he was very familiar with. . Hpe the sun has its hat on where you are!

No comments: