Friday, October 8, 2010

Bon Apetit, y'all


As part of my pre-birthday celebration, my Texan friend Michelle made me Texas-style chicken fried steak. Here is my plate with chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, green beans and a home-made dinner roll.

Way back in 1967, in a dorm in American University, I was in one room with two roommates, Michelle and one roommate was next door, and Mary was in the next room with two roommates. Mary and I were freshmen and Michelle was the sophisticated sophomore.

I drove down from New York today and it really was a perfect day. I called on the way down and Michelle, who lives in Austin, but had already arrived at Mary's, asked me what I wanted waiting for me... I thought about that, knew I'd get fed and watered and so the only pressing need I could think of was a toilet. When I drove into the alley to park behind Mary's house, I saw a porta-pottie right by Mary's house and I thought, wow, she takes my requests seriously. But it was only her neighbor who is having some construction.

Tomorrow the official celebration begins.

2 comments:

stefortiz said...

Looks really yummy! Happy Birthday...have a great celebration.

Anonymous said...

It was a blast celebrating your birthday with you, Pat! Love you to pieces & am looking forward to celebrating again next year! Hugs, TJ