Sunday, August 1, 2010

Almost Home

 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa


 
Posted by Picasa






Actually I could have made it today, but why? When I checked out of my Microtel this morning, the clerk told me they get a lot of New Yorkers. I said that was because we are accustomed to living in small spaces and feel comfortable here. She said the reason is that it's about a one-day drive to New York. Yeah, if you want to drive 12 hours straight which I don't.

Picture #1: what are the hell are these things? I kept seeing them. Anybody know?

I've been thinking that I can somewhat understand how people who don't care about the environment think there is unlimited space. For so much of this trip, there is green on either side of the highway for miles, mostly without a building in sight other than a farmhouse and barn. I am also struck by how many thousands and thousands of acres of corn we have in this country. It seems endless. Beyond corn, beyond feed for animals, beyond popcorn, it must be all that corn syrup that is in all processed foods.

And beyond wrong apostrophes, what I hate more is YOUR when it should be YOU'RE. There's a sign in this room that says YOU'RE A TERRIFIC GUEST and I keep glancing at it as if it would change to YOUR A TERRIFIC GUEST and I'd have to immediately check out.

Back home tomorrow.

No comments: