Monday, December 27, 2010

Povitica

I thought, by my age, I had discovered every fattening thing that exists, but now I have found a new one, thanks to a holiday gift from a client. This is Povitica, which is a Croatian sweet cake.

It comes in a loaf pan, the size of a pound cake. Mine was labeled "English walnut" and it's lots of little layers of moist doughy cake with the walnut paste. It's wonderful.

This client is in Kansas City, and when I googled Povitica, it turns out to be mostly popular there. Just to add insult to injury, I buttered the piece I ate. Heaven!

PS about pronunciation: I was saying it wrong... I thought it was
po-VIT-i-cah but it is po-vee-TEET-sah which sounds much more romantic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, does that look yummy!

I tried to post this twice using my google account but it did not work again.

Stephanie is going anonymous again.

Fran said...

Yum yum...what a perfect antidote for a blizzard. Enjoy.

Melissa said...

Ah yes, the English walnut is the best, I remember now! My taste buds are watering. If I still lived in kansas I would be running down to the market tonight!

John M (Dallas) said...

Here is a source: http://www.povitica.com/