Thursday, December 30, 2010

On My To Read List

I ordered this book today, and it sounds fascinating. I'd never heard of this woman. Here's the first paragraph from a review:

The 19th-century eccentric Ida C. Craddock was by turns a secular freethinker, a religious visionary, a civil-liberties advocate and a sexual radical. Arrested and tried repeatedly on obscenity charges, she was deemed a danger to public morality. By the end of her life, Craddock had become a favorite of free-speech defenders and women’s rights activists. In Heaven’s Bride, historian Leigh Eric Schmidt offers a rich biography of this forgotten mystic, who occupied the seemingly incongruous roles of yoga priestess, suppressed sexologist and suspected madwoman.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Oh, I want to read this! I'm going to order on my kindle!!!!