Sunday, June 12, 2011

Mary's Burning Question.... SOLVED!

How did we live without the Internet? Mary emailed me:

I got this calorie free soda called Refresh that tastes like a creamsicle, so I started wondering, what's the difference between a creamsicle and a dreamsicle? 



A few seconds, a dozen keystrokes, and now we all know:

The sherbet-like shell of the Creamsicle is identical to that of the Dreamsicle, but the payoff inside is ice cream in the former, ice milk in the latter. The difference in price, last time I checked, was about a nickel.

source: straightdope.com

I swear I was 25 years old before I could have the ENTIRE popcicle. I grew up always having to share a popsicle with my older sister. Luckily we agreed on flavors -- most of the time we'd get cherry, sometimes orange, sometimes grape and sometimes (but rarely) root beer.


If the popsicle had melted just a bit, when you tried to break it in half, it would break horizontally and then you'd have to eat half of it off the stick, and half of it in your hand as it melted more. When we'd go to my grandmother's house in Wisconsin in the summer, we'd go to this tiny neighborhood grocery store that sold (really) penny candy and we'd get candy and popcicles. I always loved the smell of that store. It was a combination of the owner's stumpy cigar, yeasty bread and other things but it had this wonderful distinctive smell. I don't think the two-stick popcicles are made any more.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Mary, you sure are bringing back memories!

Stephanie