Thursday, June 30, 2011

Cardinal Sighting

I saw a cardinal in my garden today. I'd seen it (I assume it's the same one!) a few times. Do they tweet loud? I had been hearing some loud bird all morning.



What struck me about seeing this bird is how weird it is to see something in person that you've seen thousands of times in photos -- it's almost like it's more real in the photos than in reality. I had that same feeling the first time I went to the Paris Air Show and saw the Eiffel Tower. I remember thinking "Oh, it looks just like the pictures..." Well, yeah. 

Over the weekend, I'm going to try to get my own photo of my own cardinal. It's so bright red.



2 comments:

Barbara said...

Arguably my favorite bird. If you've seen bright red, you've seen the male, and he usually has a mate nearby - less conspicuous and less friendly - so next time you see him, do look around for Mrs. Cardinal. If you find her and look carefully you will see that she is red too, but more underneath. Less showy than he but more beautiful, I think.

Barbara said...

And yes, they do "tweet" loud - but I would call it more of a whistle-like sound.