Wednesday, June 30, 2010

It's so nice to have a (handy) man around the house


A friend had richly recommended this dependable, economical, dependable, neat, dependable, sweeps up after himself, dependable handyman and urged me to hire him. Which I did. I had a half dozen little things ranging from cracked floor tiles in my kitchen to a broken shower head to a bathroom vanity that was loose from the wall.

Nothing falling down around my ears, but definitely items that called for attention.

He is all that was promised to me, and another friend suggested I take full advantage of him before he is snatched up. Which I have now done. (In fact, he told me today that in addition to his full time job as a porter in a building, he has been hired to work as a super in a building all Sundays during the summer.) Today he fixed a few more things -- I didn't have anything totally broken -- so there were so many little jobs that just went undone week after week, month after month.

Now as things are getting fixed, I realize how much psychic energy these problems took from me -- like a slow leak out of a beachball. My bathroom vanity was loose from the wall so it moved everytime I bumped it or leaned on it and now it is fixed and rock solid... but every time the vanity moved, pssssst...there goes some air from my psychic beach ball... psssst...bad girl, you should get this fixed, you haven't... I have a terrible scold who lives in my head whom I've unsucessfully tried to evict for years. I've quieted her down somewhat but she still offers her negative opinion all times of day and night.

So now I'm thinking when all these things are fixed and my scold is quieted, I am imagining I'll have way more energy. My psychic beach ball will be bouncing down Easy Street!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, when I have someone recommended to me by a friend, I almost always try out their services. But why is it that it feels like when I recommend someone, people are so slow to give them a try? Am I just more open to trying new people, things, etc. than others?