Friday, June 25, 2010

Hot town, Summer in the City

It was hot, hot, hot today and it reminded me of the first time I came into this apartment which has been my home for 20+ years. It was a July day -- even hotter than today, over 100 degrees. I had walked a couple blocks from where I was living and was sweaty when I arrived.

When I walked in, the air conditioned air hit me and it was dark and cool and felt almost like a cave. I've always loved that feeling. There's a movie theater near me where you go down an escalator and the theater is underground, and I always like going there on a really hot day for the same reason. Dark and cool.

I remember as a young girl going to caves on summer vacations and how fascinating it was to me that it could be hot and sunny and then in a few minutes, usually down a walk or down a flight of steps into the cave where nature provided air conditioning.

No comments: