Monday, August 6, 2012

From Bad to Worse

Sure enough, after writing that everything was fine, the power went off again. The TV stayed on, but it kept flickering off so I could watch my shows but had to keep turning the TV back on. Not so for the air conditioner. It was as dead as a doornail.

Tried various things. The plug has those buttons (like a blow dryer has) -- I don't know what they do, but they reset somehow the appliance... that did nothing, plug, unplug, plug, unplug, press buttons, try remote, stamp my foot... then I had an idea that maybe a surge of electricity threw a circuit so I tromp upstairs hoping a circuit was thrown, look in the circuit box, but no such luck.

I opened the garden door and I can't call it a breeze, but it was moving air. I can't call it cool, but it was less warm than inside. Then I opened my bedroom window, same less warm moving air coming in. I was miserable. My pillowcase was literally damp with sweat. Finally fell asleep around 2, and awoke to cool air at 5:15 when I saw a magnificent sight: the little lights of my air conditioner.

I had already decided to screw budgets -- if my a/c was broken, I was just going to buy a new one today. I  was going to see if my homeowner's insurance would have paid for it. God knows I've paid enough premiums to pay for 10 air conditioners and have never had a claim.

I also decided, just to annoy myself, to complain to my city councilwoman. Found her website, and believe it or not, there's no phone number. Had to fill out one of those annoying on line forms... the "don't call us, we'll call you" forms. But I did it anyway. I don't expect anything from it, but I just wanted my voice to be heard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am going to blame all that on the subway construction also!

Stephanie