Monday, July 23, 2012

Hot Monday

It was literally 99 degrees today so it was hard to be outside all day. I often feel that I *want* a shower, but today, when I got back to my room I thought I *need* a shower. Phew. Tomorrow I have to get up really early so I have taken my shower and laid out my clothes so I don't have to make any decisions in the morning.

I discovered a new low in hotel housekeeping. Back in the olden days, hotel maids might spend 15 or 20 minutes in the room, always change the sheets, always vacuum, etc. These days hotels play the fake "help us save the pandas" (I'm not kidding) by going green and not asking for clean sheets. It's such a game.

I walk back to my room and the bed is not made, the garbage is still in the trash can and it's clear the room hasn't been cleaned. I called the front desk and she told me that her notes indicate that the room *has too* been cleaned... it says so right on her list. Maybe I just don't realize the room's been cleaned?? she asks. I say, "The bed isn't made."

It's clear the room isn't going to be cleaned, not by her, not at 5 pm so she asks if I need anything. Yes, my bed made. I didn't say that ... I said no. But later when I walked into the bathroom, I see the towels I used were replaced. I left a wet washcloth and a used hand towel on the sink and they have been replaced with folded ones. Wow, hope that wasn't too much effort. Is that the new definition of cleaning a room?

Just two pictures today -- Oshkosh is about 20 miles from where I stay in Fond du Lac so this is the view. I do pass something interesting... a buffalo farm or a buffalo ranch or whatever you'd call it. It's weird to see Buffalo roaming the fields of Wisconsin.

En route back to Fond du Lac. Note the infamous car pass in the lower left hand corner. Yes, this morning I blessed everyone by name who got me my car pass as I cleared each checkpoint. I might have been able to make it TO where I was going from public parking this morning. But tonight, wrung out, hot, sweaty, tired, thirsty, that trek back to the car somewhere in public parking damn near would have killed me. The car was so hot that it was like an oven -- too hot to even get in so I opened all four windows, turned on the a/c and waited a few minutes.

This is the front door of my hotel. Got a good parking space returning, right next to handicapped. On the way home, I got an extra large drink from a drive thru. I was so parched, but I didn't want to drink too much while I was on site lest I be forced to use a porta potty. The Oshkosh wisdom says to always pick a porta potty that's been in the shade. You don't want to be inside a fiberglass porta potty when it's 99 degrees.

No comments: