Saturday, December 24, 2011

New York Christmas Story #3 - circa 1956

The popular doll of the day was named Betsy Wetsy, and I wanted one for Christmas. Betsy was a baby doll where you could actually feed her water out of her own little baby bottle. After a few minutes, Betsy would actually do #1 -- "give back" so to speak all that water.  It was "just like a real baby," the Saturday morning TV commercials promised. So Santa brought me my Betsy Wetsy, and I was thrilled. Loved dressing her up and then feeding her. Shortly thereafter, though, Betsy would do her thing.

Well, I soon tired of that since I didn't have that many clothes for Betsy and I'd get her dressed up, looking cute, and then would feed her only to have her wet her fresh clothes once again. It seemed like a vicious circle.

Then a lightbulb went off.

I got some scotch tape and put the tape over Betsy Wetsy's little (ahem) hole which was anatomically accurately located.

Problem solved.

That is, until I proudly showed off to my mother what I had done. She was appalled. Really. I can still play back her reaction in my mind. She was angry, no doubt at the lack of any maternal instinct on my part, and demanded, "How would you like it if someone did that to you?" She repeated that a few times. I imagined it, didn't like it, but I stood by my solution.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! I had a Betsy Wetsy doll too. In fact, it was my favorite doll next to my Nun doll. I wish I still had her! Stephanie

Pat said...

So did every Catholic girl have a nun doll? Did you play with it or was it (as my mother called them) just a "look at doll"?

fran said...

You brought back fond memories of Betsy Wetsy! And more Wetsy and more Wetsey. I thought you came up with a very creative solution, especially for a little girl, for the soggy clothes problem.

Speaking of water spouts, do you remember Tiny Tears? Water gushed from the tear ducts (holes) and other places. And do you remember the play baby bottle that had "milk" in it? When you tilted the bottle to the doll's mouth, the milk disappeared.

Pat said...

I had a Tiny Tears as well. And yes, I do remember the "disappering" milk in the bottle.

Barbara said...

I never had a Betsy Wetsy, but I DID have a "Flying Nun" doll --based on the TV show at the time. Ugh! As for dolls that do things, I saw a "Kissie" doll at a flea market recently that reminded me that my oldest sister had one of those -- you push her little arms together and she puckered up and made a kissing noise. What I remember about her was that you couldn't kiss her on the lips while she did her thing, because her arms had to clap together to make it work, so the arms were in the way of actually kissing her while she kissed you. Maybe the manufacturers were worried that we'd grow up to be lesbians if we could actually kiss the Kissie doll back?